& seldom heard around: your truth

I just spent 5 hours in the hot afternoon snuggled up in a little world of my own, with eyes fervently scanning through the lines of “The Pact” by Jodi Picoult. To be frank, I was never a reader. I wasn’t born to be one anyway, with a snail-mail pace of turning pages and synthesising all the information. But this book caught my attention and it was indeed a page-turner. On a school day, a self-confessed nerd would never spend her whole afternoon reading a novel. A chick lit in a sense, wasting her precious time away. But I did it yes. And now I am paying it all back, with guilt angel resting on my shoulder screaming “you have pts that are undone. No wait, not even touched on yet” Mhmm yeah, thanks a lot, alter ego. Well, I do have to admit that the 5 hours did not go to waste. The book was entrancing and very realistic, with a tinge of sadness and melancholy to it. It was beautiful yet tragedic; nerve-wrecking yet perfect. What a beautiful love story I thought, and then it dawned on me that novels like this are out to prey on the little teenage’s fragile heart and exploit her dreamy and imaginative mind, telling her all the possibilities in this world, that even to this date, there is such thing as a true love. Some call it being too idealistic and some advised not to get hopes up to prevent disappointment, but everyone has the right to dream, and I am going to have mine. But slowly, I’ve learn to accept that perfection can only be achieved through looking past the imperfections and really, I’m perfectly alright with it. I think I have an affinity with love novels like this. I am a hardcore drama mama. Mostly all the books I read have something to do with guy meets girl, guy falls in love with girl, girl dies, guy cries and all the last forevers. Cecilia Ahern and her where rainbow ends, Nicholas Sparks and his Messages in a Bottle and At first sight. All these books have set off a jet stream of tears and mixed emotions and often, a thought. This was like no other. “The Pact”, Jodi’s fifth novel revolves around two teenage children, Emily and Chris, who grew up with each other and shared a love so strong that it was unbreakable. Emily was suicidal and forces Chris to kill her. This is the whole thought part. Would you love someone so much that you would do anything for her? And by anything, meaning killing her to relieve her from the suffering she’s going through in life? I’m a real sucker when it comes to summarising plots but basically it is about whether love could really transcend through the conventions and lead someone to do the unthinkable. Or something like that. And as I am writing this, I’ve just added a few more things on my mental to-do list. WHY CANT I JUST STOP FEELING AS THOUGH I’VE JUST EATEN MACDONALDS FOR BREAKFAST, LUNCH AND DINNER ALL IN A DAY. That kind of guilt is stupid. OKAY. I think I have ADD. Anyway, I am going to read The Time Traveller’s Wife tomorrow, going to get it from Jean! I have such soft spots for these love novels. By the way, I am giving the book two thumbs up (just nice I have two) and it is really a good read, not all chick lit and stuff. Really do sets you thinking. Oh and today during English when we were suppose to find movies to review and stuff, I realise that half of my life has been spent watching movies because I did watched hell lots of movies. It’s nice. I think I want to run a museum when I grow up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plugging Into An Electric Vehicle Revolution